The City of Eden is now accepting applications for the 2018 Citizens Academy. The Academy will be held on consecutive Thursdays from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., beginning August 16 and running through October 11. A graduation ceremony will be held on October 16 at 6:00 p.m. at the Eden City Council meeting.
The Citizens Academy is a free, nine-session interactive course designed to provide residents with an in-depth look into municipal government as well as information about the services and programs of the City of Eden.
This course is open to all city residents or those who live in the city’s extraterritorial jurisdiction, or own a business or property or work in the City of Eden. You must be 18 years old. This is an exciting opportunity for residents to increase their knowledge about the workings of local government and have a desire to become more involved in the shaping and development of their community.
Interested participants should submit an application and will be selected on a first-come basis. Class size is limited to 20 participants. Since many participants will arrive directly from work without eating, a light meal will also be provided each week.
Academy participants will:
- Learn about city government operations and services
- Participate in dialogues with city leaders, staff and other civic minded residents
- See taxpayers’ investments at work
- Expand their knowledge and become more informed on current and proposed projects within the city
- Gain appreciation for the city’s resources and capacity to meet the needs of the community
- Learn about opportunities to become more involved and help build a sustainable community
- Receive first-hand information and have the chance to ask questions on any topic at the end of the session.
- Tour the public works facility, police and fire departments, recreation department, and water & wastewater treatment facilities
apply by Tuesday, July 31 in order to be considered.
If you wish to learn more about the City of Eden’s Citizens Academy, please contact Deanna Hunt, Deputy City Clerk, at 623-2110, option 8, or email email@example.com.
Applications will be available at City Hall, the Eden Chamber of Commerce, or apply online following the link below.